Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

NANO Madness

Well, here I am again thankfully! It's been a busy time. It usually is for me. My significant other is still in hospital and has survived the operation of course, as I knew he would. But, then he developed some infection so they’re trying hard to kill that. He’ll be released once they chase the germs away. So it’s all-good!

I’m sure he’ll be stunned when he gets home to see what I’ve been doing while he’s been gone.I've got a large closet reorganized and taken on several new activities.

 I inadvertently joined NANO last night but I'm going to give it a go anyways. I just went to the site to see what all the fuss was about and the sign said " sign up" and I clicked it.

I thought they meant sign up for the site (it was late and I was tired) but it meant sign up for the writing exercise. Sometimes things happen. Serendipity.

Have a look if you're interested, the site is www.nanowrimo.org Just be careful what you click on! You could end up like me with 50,000 words to write before the end of November.

There are rules to follow of course and I read them through as fast as I could and introduced myself in the forum and I may be the older one in the regional group. But that doesn't bother me either. Someone has to be.

I've never done a NANO before but it's a worldwide event and even as I sit here typing into my blog hundreds of people all over the globe are up typing into their NANO manuscript. It's a good exercise for any writer or any "wannna-be" writer. It instills the "write everyday" element that a good writer needs.

I've heard about NANO for donkey years of course. It's hard to miss hearing about it. Even living in a very small hamlet on the coast of Nova Scotia, you do get news. The N.S. Writer's Federation Newsletter made mention of it as well. I have friends on Writing.com who are also nano-ing their little hearts out.

I think the problem with so many writers is that they want instant recognition and publication. Oddly enough you can get that easily on the Internet. Ten year olds do it daily!

Some writers just don't understand the publication process from a publisher's point of view. Nor do they even care! Publishers are in the business of publishing to make a profit, by printing and distributing books. Usually that means QUALITY books. Books that have been well edited; and books that have good grammar. Not to placate ever-sensitive writers.

Many writers think once they've written a piece, that its inspired. Completely inspired and needs no alteration at all, ever. The problem with that attitude is, it's a red flag that means it needs a lot of work to make it publishable. Unless you're an incredible genius with a Master's degree in English and a PhD in Science. Then publishers know you have the dedication gene at the very least.

If on the other hand you have high school math and some good ideas and some writing credits you might still knock out a book. It would still take a great deal of work to make it publishable. The problem today is that with e-books you take your chances as to the quality of what you're getting unless you buy books online from a credible source.

If it were "easy", everyone would be doing it.

If you find this entry short, I’m writing my Nano so be patient and I’ll be back here during my breaks. Stay Well!

0 comments: