Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Operation Aneurysm and Pumpkins!

Finally! We have hope of a hospital date so my partner can get his operation. It depends of course on whether or not there is a bed available this coming week. So, if you're reading this from a hospital bed and anxious to go home, insist upon it please!!!! While the wait seemed longer to him than to me I'm pleased that when Health Care in Canada works, it really works GREAT!

To be fair, it works pretty good most of the time. I don't know what I would have done without it in my life because I've had to use it a few times. Luckily I didn't have to use it to excess. Some people do. I remember when we got our system I did think that it would make more hypocondriacts. It might also encourage those that already were overly concerned with their health and because they were, become self fulfilling prophets.

Being sick is no fun as anyone who is knows. Unfortunately there are people who derive a lot of attention from being sick, so they're sick all the time. The kick-back is attention. It seems a shame they feel the only time anyone will be attentive to them is when they're sick, but if this is so, maybe they should examine that aspect of their personality.

As for me, I'm just glad we finally have a date for this operation and hope that nothing goes amiss to postpone it any longer. It's been extremely stressful on us both. I'll let you know how it goes after the fact.

The cost of a bit of fun:
I was on Facebook last night and noticed a post from a fellow in Australia and since it's month end I have to mention this. A pumpkin in Australia costs $7.99 a POUND! Anyone who is familiar with pumpkins knows there's not a lot to them, but they can be heavy because of their construction. As a result even a small one would have cost my friend about $60. Yeah!! Imagine, $60. for something you're going to ream out and cut a face in and stick a candle in it.

Hallowe'en is apparently not that "big thing" in Australia that it is in North America. I can see why now. I doubt very many people would be dressing their driveways with pumpkins and making pumpkin people out of them if they were THAT expensive here.

The best I could offer was to send some seeds down under so the kids could grow their own for next year. Then again, it would likely cause an international incident or something. I don't know if sending seeds would be legal from a customs point of view. It likely wouldn't be for some reason.

I know countries have to be careful about what comes into their geography, especially in regard to plants and all that entails. I am also wondering why pumpkins aren't grown there like they are here. It might be because Australia is considered a really warm continent, but they're quite close to Antartica so they might get a frost here and there. I don't know.

Well I guess that's it for now folks. In the meantime stay well and don't hang around anything too creepy tomorrow night! HAPPY HALLOWE'EN!

0 comments: